Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July

Happy 4th of July everyone!

For those interested, I celebrated today by staying inside away from the humidity, making hotdogs on the stove top, drinking American beer I normally wouldn't touch with a twelve foot pole, and watching a selection of my favorite America-themed movies. This year's festivities included:

1. Live Free or Die Hard--one of my favorite movies of all time. Afterwards I spent about an hour listening to CCR and feeling like a badass.

2. 1776--a guilty pleasure I suppose. Everytime I watch this movie I always remember the severity of what our founding fathers did and the price we all paid and continue to pay for our freedom. Plus the songs are just catchy. I couldn't stop singing about eaglets for an hour.

3. Independence Day--it just wouldn't be right not to watch it. Freedom not only from tyranny, but from creepy aliens as well.

4. National Treasure--I know that it doesn't have a lot to do with the 4th of July, but for some reason it just fit with the whole theme of what I was going for today. You know, running around with the Declaration of Independence and trying to find clues from American history to solve the puzzle concealed on the back? It feels patriotic to me!

I hope where ever you are, and whatever you're doing, you all remember what today means. Not just for our past, but our present and our future. I have several friends and a number of family members who either have served or are serving in the armed forces, and I want to make sure that I tell them today that I appreciate them for everything that they do.


"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"
--President Thomas Whitmore, Independence Day

No comments: